|Information contained in this article was retrieved under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.|
There are three basic types of techniques: ninjutsu, genjutsu and taijutsu. Subcategories exist, including fūinjutsu, juinjutsu and senjutsu. There are also kekkei genkai abilities which aren't techniques, but inherited abilities passed down through certain clans (however, they can be used as base for certain techniques, such as Haku's Demonic Ice Crystal Mirrors). Kekkei genkai can also be attributed to certain parts of the body, such as dōjutsu.
Without proper control of their chakra, a ninja will produce ineffective or weakened technique which will lead to them running out of chakra early in a fight. To manipulate their chakra more easily, hand seals can be used. With these hand seals, users can control their chakra and technique with higher efficiency. Different techniques require different hand seals.
Depending on the difficulty or skill necessary to perform a technique, they are ranked differently. There are six different ranks in techniques:
- E-rank - Learned by Academy students. Are the basic and most fundamental techniques for all ninja.
- D-rank - Genin-level techniques. Can be achieved by all genin, though many ninja only learn their "type" of technique.
- C-rank - Chūnin-level techniques. Sometimes learned by genin who have trained extensively.
- B-rank - Jōnin-level techniques. Require high levels of chakra to use.
- A-rank - Kage or jōnin-level techniques. Require great control over one's chakra and may be forbidden.
- S-rank - Secret, extreme level techniques. Are typically unique to a single user.