|Information contained in this article was retrieved under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.|
Lightning Release (雷遁, Raiton; English TV "Lightning Style") is one of the basic elemental nature transformation techniques that allow the user to generate lightning by increasing the high frequency vibrations of their chakra, allowing for piercing damage and fast movement. The electricity paralyses the target so that they are unable to move and leave them vulnerable to a finishing strike. While uncommon, lightning can be infused into bladed weapons in a way similar to Wind Release through chakra flow for increased the piercing power through vibrations, with the added effect of inducing numbness. When the technique is released from their bodies, and thus not requiring physical contact, it does not move as fast as true lightning. Instead, due to the control the user has to exert over it, it moves far slower, which can give opponents time to still react. Based on the exhaustion seen when using Lightning Release techniques, it can be presumed that they require more chakra than the other nature transformations.
Common to the ninja of Kumogakure, a lightning technique is naturally weak against wind, and strong against earth, as lightning can easily travel through it, as well as break it apart.
Lightning also has a unique relation with water, since water conducts electricity. This means that a Water Release technique can be used to increase the damage of a Lightning Release technique and vice versa. Though this also means that if one's opponent still has a physical connection with the water, either a pre-existing source or one created with their own chakra, then they can be paralysed via their own technique. Lightning is also much more powerful when utilising natural lightning; a powerful Fire Release technique shot into the sky can produce thunderclouds in preparation for this.
- Lightning-natured chakra is also a component of the kekkei genkai Storm Release (along with water).
- In Kumogakure, the Third Raikage knew how to use Black Lightning, and taught Darui how to use it.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 422, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 308, pages 4-5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 308, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 412, pages 14-15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 463, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 411, pages 16-17
- ↑ Naruto chapter 470, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 473, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 334, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 384, pages 10-11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 461, page 2